3 making a false outward show; "a beggar's masquerade of wealth"
1 take part in a masquerade
2 pretend to be someone or something that you are not; "he is masquerading as the expert on the Internet"; "This silly novel is masquerading as a serious historical treaty"
- Rhymes: -eɪd
- A party or assembly of people wearing
masks, and amusing themselves with dancing, conversation, or other
- In courtly balls and midnight masquerades
- A dramatic performance by actors in masks; a mask. See “mask”
- Acting or living under false pretenses; concealment of something by
a false or unreal show; pretentious show; disguise.
- I was invited to the masquerade at their home.
- That masquerade of misrepresentation which invariably accompanied the political eloquence of Rome
- A Spanish diversion on horseback.
- To assemble in
masks; to take part in a masquerade.
- I'm going to masquarade as the wikipede. What are you going to dress up as?
- To frolic or disport in disguise; to make a pretentious show of
being what one is not.
- He masqueraded as my friend until the truth finally came out.
- A freak took an ass in the head, and he goes into the woods, masquerading up and down in a lion's skin
- To conceal with
masks; to disguise.
- To masquerade vice
to conceal with masks
Masquerade may refer to:
- Masquerade (Running Wild album), an album by German band Running Wild
- Masquerade (Golden Dawn album), an album by Austrian band Golden Dawn
- Masquerade (Wyclef Jean album), an album by American hip hop artist Wyclef Jean
- Masquerade (Kaya album), a single by Japanese electronica artist Kaya
- "Masquerade" (song), from the musical The Phantom of the Opera
- "This Masquerade", a 1970s pop song by The Carpenters
- Masquerade (nightclub), concert venue in the DuPre Excelsior Mill building in Atlanta, Georgia
- Masquerade, a band with Drafi Deutscher and Nino de Angelo who had a minor hit in 1984 with the song "Guardian Angel"
- Masquerade, a UK jazz band started by Dave Buxton in 1978
- "Masquerade", a song by Soul Asylum from their 1984 album Say What You Will, Clarence...Karl Sold the Truck
- "Stained Glass Masquerade", a song by Casting Crowns
- Masquerade Suite, a waltz by Aram Khachaturian
masquerade in German: Masquerade
masquerade in French: Masquerade
Kaffeeklatsch, accouter, act, act a part, act as, act out, acting, affectation, ape, aping, appearance, attitudinize, attitudinizing, bal, bal costume, bal masque, ball, ballet skirt, barn dance, be incognito, blowout, bluff, bluffing, burrow, buskin, camouflage, cap and bells, caparison, characterization, cheating, cloak, cocktail party, coffee klatch, color, coloring, copy, costume, costume party, country dance, cover, cover-up, dance, deception, delusion, dinner, dinner party, disappear, disguise, dissemblance, dissembling, dissimulation, do, domino, donation party, drop from sight, dumb show, embodiment, enact, enacting, enactment, entertainment, equip, facade, face, fakery, faking, false air, false colors, false face, false front, false show, falsity, fancy-dress ball, feigning, feint, festivity, fit, fit out, four-flushing, fraud, front, garden party, getup, gilt, gloss, go into hiding, go to ground, go underground, habit, hen party, hide, hide away, hide out, hole up, hop, house party, house-raising, housewarming, humbug, humbuggery, imitate, imitation, impersonate, impersonation, imposture, incarnation, incognito, lawn party, lie, lie close, lie doggo, lie hid, lie low, lie snug, make false pretenses, mask, masked ball, masque, masquerade as, masquerade ball, masquerade party, meretriciousness, mime, mimesis, mimic, mimicking, mimicry, miming, mixer, motley, mummery, ostentation, outfit, outward show, pantomime, pantomiming, party, pass for, pass off, perform, performance, performing, personate, personation, personification, play, play a part, play peekaboo, playacting, playing, portrayal, pose, pose as, posing, posture, pretend to be, pretense, pretension, pretext, prom, promenade, protective coloration, put-on, record hop, remain anonymous, representation, retire from sight, rig, rig out, rig up, seeming, semblance, sham, shindig, shindy, show, shower, simulacrum, simulate, simulation, sit tight, smoke screen, smoker, sock, speciousness, square dance, stag, stag dance, stag party, stay in hiding, subterfuge, suit, surprise party, take cover, take off, tea dance, the dansant, tights, turn out, tutu, uniform, varnish, veil, visor, vizard, vizard mask, wear a mask, window dressing